Between October 4 and December 14 I did fourteen residency interviews, although most of them were concentrated between October 27 and December 14, so all told I did an average of two interviews a week for seven weeks. I was home for 17 days during that period, spread out over the interview season.
Things that were wonderful about the interview trail:
- Catching up with friends in distant cities
- Enjoying cuisines that aren’t available in Ann Arbor
- Meeting so many delightful future colleagues/potential co-residents
Things that were terrible about the interview trail:
- Sleeping on floors, air mattresses, couches, and guest beds; thank you to everyone who hosted me, but the cumulative effect was rough
- Air travel
- Leaving Walter with every friend and relative I have in the greater Ann Arbor/Detroit area
I’m glad I did it, but I’m really glad I’m done. Now the excitement of making a rank list and holding my breath until March 15 when I find out where I’ll be heading for the next four years. Stay tuned!